How to Exercise Your Right to Vote

Election Day: Tuesday, November 8th


Register to Vote

Every New Hampshire citizen, 18 years and older, has the Constitutional right to vote. You don’t have to live in your town or in NH for any set length of time to vote. 17-year-olds may register to vote if they will be 18 by the time of the next scheduled election. If you are already registered in your town, you don’t have to register again.

Where to Register to Vote

  • At your town or city clerk’s office up to 6-13 days before any election (blackout period varies by election. Check with city/town clerk).
  • At the polling place on Election Day. This can take extra time during major elections.

What to Bring with You to Register

If you can, when you go to register, bring a driver’s license, passport, or other photo ID.

Also bring something that shows where you live, such as a utility bill addressed to you.

If you don’t have these documents, you will be allowed to sign a statement attesting to your identity, age, citizenship, or domicile. The registration form asks for your name, age, place of birth, and where you live now.

If you were registered somewhere else before, report your previous voting address.

The form also asks for a driver’s license ID number or the last four digits of your Social Security number. You’ll be asked to read and sign a statement saying you understand voting fraud is a crime.

May You Register Absentee?

If you can’t register in person, you may register by mail.

Ask your town or city clerk for an absentee voter registration affidavit and a standard voter registration form. The affidavit must be witnessed and both documents returned to your clerk’s office at least 10 days before an election.

Must You Register for a Specific Party?

No. If you prefer to keep your options open for voting in the Presidential or state primaries, you may register as “undeclared.” When you go to the polls, ask for the ballot of the party you want to vote for. Unless you change back to “undeclared” on your way out of the polling place, you will be considered a member of that party for the next election.

Ways to Vote!

Absentee Voting

If you’re a registered voter but you can’t vote in person because of disability, religious beliefs, work hours, military service, or temporary absence, you may ask your city or town clerk for an absentee ballot application in advance of the election. Fill out the applications and return it to your town or city clerk. When you get your ballot in the mail, fill it out and mail it back to your town or city clerk. The clerk must receive it by 5 pm of Election Day. Ballots may not be faxed.

Voting in Person

If possible, show a valid photo ID to the Ballot Clerk at the polls. You need only one ID! Acceptable photo IDs for 2016 include the following:

  • Driver’s license from NH or any other state (current or expired no more than 5 years*);
  • Non-driver’s photo ID issued by NH Department of Motor Vehicles;
  • US armed services ID card;
  • US passport or passcard (current or expired no more than 5 years*);
  • Valid student ID card;
  • Other photo ID acceptable to the moderator, supervisor of the checklist, or town clerk;
  • Verification of a person’s identity by the moderator, supervisor of the checklist or town or city clerk.

* For voters over 65 years old, no expiration date restriction applies.

If you don’t have a photo ID listed above, you will still be able to get a ballot by signing an affidavit saying you are who you claim to be. Your photo will be taken at the polls and attached to the affidavit.

Where do I Vote?

  • You can find your polling place by clicking here and entering the information into the form on the page.

Where do the candidates stand on the issues?

Check out Every Child Matters’ Digital Dialogue to see where the Presidential Candidates stand on children’s issues.

BallotPedia also offers insight into the State candidates’ positions on issues.

Sources: League of Women Voters of New HampshireNH Secretary of State’s Office,